Welcome to the Litigation Professional's Forum!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Tim Janes

"Live" Audio Feed to Court Reporter device(s)

Hello forum. I am new to the LitPro community and want to solicit feedback regarding an audio feed to the court reporter (CR). I routinely offer a .WAV file at depo end to the CR. I use a Shure M367 mixer that has 2 output feeds. I use the Line Out feed for audio to my video camera. The 2nd output is Line/Mic switchable that I use in Line mode as input to my backup digital audio recorder (Zoom H4N). I can split this 2nd mixer audio output and offer a "live" audio feed (using a line to mic attenuator) to the CR as input to their CR software. Do any of you have experience doing this or any advise For/Against offering this option? Your feedback is appreciated.

Hello Tim

I do offer this option to reporters.  All you need is a long 3.5mm cable with an attenuator on it so the reporter can control the level.  I find it's a win-win situation for both the reporter and myself as they get a quality audio recording that is linked to the transcript  and I don't get that last minute "I need wav files right now" phone call.  Not sure why you're making an audio back-up, maybe I'm mistaken but I'd say that's unusual for a videographer.  

Reporters like this one because the dial makes it easy to adjust:

https://www.amazon.com/Volbox-Adjuster-Stereo-Control-3-5mm/dp/B00XDKKQ9E/ref=pd_sim_23_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H7720PCGY8VNE70N8ESN

extension (recommend 25')

https://www.amazon.com/25ft-3-5MM-Stereo-Audio-Patch/dp/B001UFUKFY/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1506439271&sr=1-12&keywords=25'+3.5

Jeremy

Thank you for the reply. Have you encountered any issue with time (not time stamp/timecode) with this audio feed if CR time on their steno machine and my audio feed time are different?

I capture an alternate media backup for audio and video as standard practice. My backup recorder offers onsite WAV file to the CR so I don't get that panic phone call. 

Hey Tim,

The audio feed that would be coming from the splitter would not contain any "time" data, so any mismatches between your clock and their clock would be a non-issue.

Yep, I echo Jason's statement.  My comment about the reporter audio linked to the transcript was a reference to their software recording the audio feed with internal timestamping, nothing to do with us or our timecode.  Also keep in mind that sound cards come in all different flavors.  The levels that work for one reporter won't necessarily work for the next.  Sometimes their is also a need to adjust the internal recording settings on the reporters laptop.  Depending on their technical ability, that can make them uncomfortable because they likely have their specs set up for the external mic they usually use.  If you do assist them in changes, make a note of it so they can return them to previous settings after depo.  Some reporters take the feed into their laptop, others take it directly into their writer, I don't really know the specifics why they choose one or the other.  Hope this helps.