Jason Wietholter

Scheduling Software

16 posts in this topic

What do you use to keep track of your jobs that are coming up on the calendar? Is it a complete, online system, a paper calendar, or something in-between?

MS Outlook.  Computer syncs with iPhone and iPad so all devices use the same information.  I also use a Filmmaker Database of my own design to enter all depo information and print all depo paperwork.  Saves time in reentering information multiple times.  Data merges with DVD label, DVD case label, file folder labels, etc.

Edited by John Gianotti

@John Gianotti, does your database connect directly to your disc printer for the labels or did you create a custom page size to print to?

Google Calendar. I love the reminders & auto synching across all devices. Also love the coordination with Google Drive for cloud storage. Will be looking into Google Business products in the future, but the free version has been useful for years.

My own Access database. Supports the entire process, including reports, paperwork, invoices and labels. A real time saver.

We haven't been able to find a system that works better for us than a big white board.   Even though we have a bit going in an out that it's always been easiest to walk up and change where it is in the process, old school, but has been reliable.   Our calendaring is all done with google.  We use the full suite of google products religiously. 

I've been looking at replacing it with a tv screen and using a "live" google spreadsheet that can be edited from any computer.   

Edited by Blake Boyd
1 person likes this

I still manually enter everything into Apple Calendar (just recently purchased my first Windows machine since 1998 and I'm trying to get the hang of Outlook to sync all of my calendars). I'm anti anything Google. Too "big brother-ish" for me.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 8:25 AM, Jason Wietholter said:

@John Gianotti, does your database connect directly to your disc printer for the labels or did you create a custom page size to print to?

Jason, in regard to your question "does your database connect directly to your disc printer for the labels or did you create a custom page size to print to? " sort of both.  I have a macro in the database that exports fields to a standard ASCII TXT file.  I then can use that file to merge into MS Publisher for printing labels for the DVD cases or for printing to the DVD itself (I use Sure Thing Disc Labeler).  I also export to a word file all the depo info (cause, deponent, date, etc.) so I can copy and paste into a customer's invoice.  I have a custom page that prints a file folder label to my Dymo Label printer (use the shipping label as it is larger and holds all the info).  Also have custom pages in the software that prints my intro script (with filed filled in), job specification sheet, objection log (yes we still use them), title slide, I hold it up and video if for about 5 seconds at the beginning of each video unit.  Just about anything I need to print is printed from the database or exported to outside programs in the case of labels.  Hope this gives you an idea.  It is something I have been doing since about 10 years ago.  I was just lazy and tired of typing all this stuff!

That is fantastic, John!

We've been attempting to implement some similar processes, so I was really curious if you had a specific piece of hardware/software that handled the labeling for you automatically from the DB. Such that you could click "Print" and it would print your paperwork, disc labels, etc. in one automated process.

Jason, Pro Wizard Label Designer, available at http://www.worldlabel.com, is a labeling application with ODBC functionality. I use it all the time with my Access-based scheduling application. It doesn't do everything automatically - I still have to change discs in my printer.

1 person likes this

I've been using this software for years. It's really outstanding for folks who understand database tables, etc., and know how to populate those tables from other information in a database.

I have a bunch of templates designed for different situations and pick the template I need within my Access application. The label templates can be populated with field names from the ODBC table. It works just the way you would hope. Populate the table, load the template, and the labels are ready to be printed.

Google everything. Job offers come in via GMail, so I can download work sheets, notices directly into Google Drive, even on my cell. I manually enter the job details into Google Calendar, including location. The cloud syncs everything to all of my devices, so I can look at it from any device - Windows PC, Android tablet, cell phone. Then, on the day of the job, with a touch I can bring up the map and use my phone to navigate - which I do even if I know exactly where I'm going, because of real-time traffic info. 

2 people like this

We use a combination of Google Apps in our offices as well as a custom built solution using an online database design tool called Knack. Connecting Knack with Zapier allows us to create/manage jobs from the database and then Zapier automatically adds it to our calendars, creates folders on our cloud storage services, and also handles emailing clients and resources.

Jason, I guess I am doing something similar to what Bruce is doing.  I have a "button" on the database that when clicked opens my DVD labeling program, populates the fields and all I have to do is load the printer and hit print.  Same with other labels.  I have two buttons for reports, one for before depo reports (scripts, forms, etc.) and one for after depo reports (certificate of authenticity etc.).  DVD case labels print the same way.  I click a button, MS Publisher comes up with the layout populated with data and I put in correct paper and hit print.  As I said, I am too lazy to type all this stuff over and over!  Oh, If I forgot I use FileMaker for my database . . . again because it works great and is easy to configure.

Edited by John Gianotti

I have implemented a number of CRM (Client Relationship Managers) over my multiple careers. The best one that I have found and use quite nicely is LACRM (Less Annoying) 10.00 per month per user, wonderful integration with Google as well. https://www.lessannoyingcrm.com/

I keep all contact notes and project notes as well. If I ever  (and have come close) have to go to small claims court to collect, I have everything there including incoming email messages from the client. He said - she said remarks nicely arranged, 

Regards to all, 

Avery in Houston. Let me know if I can be of help to you.