Welcome to the Litigation Professional's Forum!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Ken Morrison

What is the best video size and type for syncing?

I use YesLaw for syncing, and I've gotten conflicting advice from them on what I should be using for syncing. One guy at YesLaw told me a while back that I should be using an MPEG-1, 352 x 240, 1200 kbps for all of my syncs. Another one told me today that I should be using MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, 720 x 480, 2500 Kbps instead, and, although he doesn't recommend it, they will also take an MPEG-4. 

My goal is to deliver to the client a final product that is going to serve their purposes the best. So, what is the consensus on this forum:
MPEG-1, MPEG-2, or MPEG-4?
720 x 480 or 352 x 240?
Something else?

Thanks in advance fo your input.

-Ken M.

>>My goal is to deliver to the client a final product that is going to serve their purposes the best.<<

How about this?

Why not get appropriate specs for all the formats you've mentioned, and then offer the client the final product that will serve them best, rather than only one specific format?

You've failed to mention the DVD-Video option, which YesLaw also offers.

They're all used for various reasons by various clients. There is no one right answer.

For MPEG-1, 352x240, 1150-1200 kbps is fine.

For MPEG-1, 720x480, I would recommend 2800 - 3400 kbps, although there are people here that will tell you 1500 kbps is fine. I don't care for how it looks, and the math involved indicates the higher bitrate range I'm recommending here is more appropriate (google "Power of 0.75 video Ben Waggoner" to read why)

For MPEG-2, 720x480, I would recommend 4000-4400 kbps for DVD-Video like performance and visual quality. I've gone down to 3400 kbps to fit video on a disc, but have really abandoned that practice since I started adding USB Flash drives for multi-video depositions.

For MPEG-4, 720x480, I would recommend 1500-2000 kbps. Use 1500 kbps (and a square pixel 640x480 video) for iPad viewing. 720x480 uses an anamorphic pixel.