Welcome to the Litigation Professional's Forum!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
Jason Wietholter

What are your HD Deliverable Encoding Bit Rates?

HIGH DEFINITION DELIVERABLE ENCODING BIT RATES   

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your HD, MPEG-1 encoding bit rate for deliverables?

• Less Than 2.5 Mbps
    • 2.5 - 5.0 Mbps
    • 5.0 - 7.5 Mbps
    • Greater Than 7.5 Mbps
    • I don't deliver MPEG-1 in High Definition
    • I don't know
  2. 2. What is your HD, MPEG-2 encoding bit rate for deliverables?

• Less Than 5 Mbps
    • 5 - 10 Mbps
    • 10 - 15 Mbps
    • Greater Than 15 Mbps
    • I don't deliver MPEG-2 in High Definition
    • I don't know
  3. 3. What is your HD, MPEG-4 encoding bit rate for deliverables?

• Less Than 5 Mbps
    • 5 - 10 Mbps
    • 10 - 15 Mbps
    • Greater Than 15 Mbps
    • I don't deliver MPEG-4 in High Definition
    • I don't know

I'm curious as to what specs you typically use for delivery of media files to clients. Answer the questions in the poll and feel free to leave any comments further explaining your settings.

Thanks!

I think the big issue is what the clients can actually play on their computers.  MPEG-1 is by far the go to deliverable.  It plays on any computer.  I've been experimenting on delivering MPEG-1's at 720x480 @ 2mbps  audio @ 2kbps.  The video looks great at full screen. The issue we have been having with that is the auto-synching with TimecoderPro sometimes is off.  I asked TCP about that and they said it would work if you were doing it at 4mpbs, I tried it, it didn't work either.  MPEG-4 as a deliverable is the way to go in my opinion.  However, most people don't know that MP4's only play in WMP 12.  The very first time I delivered in MP4 I got a call from the attorney saying he couldn't play it on his older computer.  I had just found out about MP4s not being able to play in older WMP's and told him about that and fortunately he asked if VLC player would work, which it does.  From that point I decided to go back to MPEG1 deliverables and not have to worry about the frantic call from an atty in trial pissed off because he couldn't play the video.  The old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it really apply's here.

Craig, the likelihood is the size of the video display aspect ratio is not creating your "syncing" issue. I sync 720x480 MPEG-1 all the time without any problems. I often use YesLaw instead of Timecoder, however, which may be the difference maker as to why I don't see issues with this specific size and codec.

Jan Ozer talks about the old Power of 0.75 formula in the linked article. It will give you a good starting point on calculating an appropriate bitrate for your larger MPEG-1 video, based on what you think is good at the smaller 352x240 DAR (display aspect ratio).

You can make HD MPEG-1 video. It falls well within the spec. MPEG-1 does not support interlaced video, and it's not as efficient (small versus quality) when compared to a properly encoded for legal video MPEG-4.